Not something we regularly think about, but an area of your closet that is worth the consideration as well. My tips when purging this portion of your closet is to look for:
- Any clothing you used for activities you don’t do anymore. An example is if you used to go skiing and no longer do, purge the gear & outerwear you used when skiing – especially if it can’t be used for any other type of activity.
- Anything that doesn’t look flattering on your body, or doesn’t fit. It’s too hard to tailor workout gear so if it doesn’t fit or flatter, then it’s time to toss
Depending on your activity level (such as the number of times you work out each week), determine how much activewear and sportswear you really will need & have the room for. Only keep a couple of items of clothing per activity that you wear them for.
Some activewear should not be kept after a certain time frame and (once again) really depends on how active you are. The more active you are, the shorter period you should consider when holding on to these items. Here are some rules of thumb on when they are best to throw out:
- Class shoes: Replace after 6-8 months (4 mo. if you wear them daily)
- Running shoes: Replace after 4-6 months (4 mo. if you wear them daily)
- Sports bras: Replace after 12 months, depending on use
- Sports leggings: 1-2 years (8 months if you wear daily)
Getting organized in your closet can be super overwhelming, so I hope these tips will help get you jump started with your fall purging! If you get stuck or simply don’t want to do this alone, give us a call. We would be honored to help!!