1. Take INVENTORY excel spreadsheet to map out what you have and where it’s going to go.
2. Agree on a date and time the two of you will get together to “sort out” your belongings. A purge before you merge your households is a MUST. This will save a lot of time and aggravation when getting into the home together.
3. MAP IT OUT….Plan out where the sorted items will go before you make the move. Example, what side of the closet is his/hers, what rooms are going to be designated for guests, hobby items, storage etc.
4. PURGE, PURGE, PURGE: Identify which items you have 2 or more of, and donate the duplicated item to a favorite charity. Such as Kitchen Tupperware, Rubbermaid
5. PAPER SYSTEMS: Combine or to NOT combine your paper? It’s hard to keep bills, household papers, wills etc in two locations, so agree on who is going to keep up with the paper part of your new life.
6. Partnership planning is a must. Come up with a plan with household chores, errands, grocery shopping, paying the bills, laundry etc. Having a plan before you move in will help with the dreaded fights and arguments later.
7. Be patient. Don’t think that all the merging has to get done in one day. Take your time and make appointments with each other to cut the clutter. This is a process and it can be a little stressful and time consuming.